Rita Crundwell was arrested yesterday and taken into FBI custody. She was arrested on a federal charge for allegedly defrauding the City of Dixon of more than $3.2 million in public funds since just last fall and more than $30 million since 2006. She was the City of Dixon, Illinois Comptroller.
What does a comptroller do?
Definition cited from howstuffworks.com
A comptroller is essentially a state’s chief accountant or financial officer. This appointed or elected official has all of the following responsibilities:
- Oversees the state budget (which can amount to billions of dollars) and audits state finances
- Ensures that the state’s tax dollars are being well-spent and not wasted through fraud and abuse
- Pays state employees and oversees their pension funds
- Prepares financial reports for the state
- Examines government contracts
- Collects taxes and funds to pay for state programs
- Educates the state’s citizens about tax issues
For full details on the story please visit: